01 02 03 Life, Unconditionally: Keeping Austin Weird 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Keeping Austin Weird

34
Last week I finally traveled south to visit one of my best friends in Austin, Texas!  I flew in on Sunday (Easter) morning and flew back Tuesday evening.  We partied only the way we know how: by listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast and watching Broad City.  Truly, it was a riot.

Oh, and we ate a lot of food.  Most notably, on my first night there, Alyssa took me to an Italian restaurant called Due Forni, literally Two Ovens.  First of all, LOVE that name.  Second of all, It. Was. Delicious.  The closest to true Italian pizza I've had in America.  Probably because of the whole "oven" thing.  I also tried bread pudding for the first time and it was great.


Alyssa had class Monday morning, so I chose to spend time by the pool in her complex and soak up those Austin rays.  After, she took me to what is officially my favorite street in Austin: South Congress.  The street is filled with vintage shops and good food.  So much self restraint was required to not buy all the things in the antique shops.  But I did splurge at one of the bookstores, where I found a beautiful edition of Wuthering Heights WITH ILLUSTRATIONS.  (Side note: Judith, under no circumstances are you allowed to "borrow" said copy.)



On my last day in Austin, we decided to explore the Capitol Building, eat at a delicious diner, and then walk off those calories on the trail surrounding Lady Bird Lake.  Thankfully, Austin decided to wait until my last day to show off its true heat and go above 90 degrees, so I was only slightly sun-burnt.



Obviously, though, the best part of my trip was catching up with Alyssa and seeing how her life has changed since moving to Austin for grad school.  Hearing how she talked about her field of study and her internship was inspiring.  I am so happy for her and hope to visit her again!

Also, even though her cat was acting friendly, I'm pretty sure she was secretly plotting to kill me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38