01 02 03 Life, Unconditionally: Let's See How Far We've Come 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Let's See How Far We've Come

34
Happy New Year, everyone!!!

So how did I spend the eve of 2014?  I went to Ferrara, Italy with friends, of course!  My initial impression of the city is that it is beautiful, though I only saw it at night.  I am definitely planning a day trip sometime in the spring.

We parked a little outside of the city center, so we had a bit of a walk to all the main activity.  This meant that my outfit choice probably wasn’t the smartest, as it was also quite cold.  I guess you can take the girl out of America, but you can’t take the American way of dressing out of the girl.  Part of me is quite stubborn and not willing to give into the Italian way of wearing a ton of clothing at any one time – even in the summer.  Usually I’m thinking to myself, “It’s just a little cold, people.  Try living in the wind-tunnel that is Bowling Green, Ohio”.  But then I get cold, and mentally retract my previous thoughts.  Which is basically what happened last night. 


Anyway, we walked to the center for the aperitivo, and then a quick dinner of paninis at small restaurant located directly under a castle, Castello Estense.  What can I say, I live the high-life.  After dinner our group just hung out in the castle’s piazza until midnight for the fireworks show.  Around the corner from where we were hanging out, there was a concert going on.  We didn’t want to get caught up in the huge crowd, so we just enjoyed listening to the music and seeing clips on a projection screen that they set up near us.  The best part was that the band kept playing some classics: Play That Funky Music, YMCA, and the unofficial American National Anthem – Don’t Stop Belivin’.  Carlie and I probably looked liked freaks dancing and singing along.  Luckily our new Italian friends were singing and dancing with us.




Then, with ten seconds left, we had to countdown to the New Year, but in Italian J.  Almost every Italian in the city was wearing something red.  They really take that tradition seriously.  I didn’t have anything red, so my cherry Chapstick was as good as it was gonna get for me. 

The fireworks were set up on the castle itself, which had a great effect.  They kept faking us out, though, pretending the fireworks were over and then starting up again two minutes later.  Four times, but thankfully the finale was worth waiting for. 







All in all, it was a good way to bring in the New Year.  2013 was a great time for me: I graduated college and moved to Italy, but I am looking forward to what this year has to offer.  Even if it scares the living daylights out of me.


Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38