01 02 03 Life, Unconditionally: I Think I Can. I Think I Can. I Think I Can. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

I Think I Can. I Think I Can. I Think I Can.

34
Currently, I am in the process of becoming certified to teach English as a foreign language.  In the past, I've discussed the possibility of it with my parents, because it is a practical career choice if I want to permanently relocate to Italy.  About a month ago, my mother found an offer on GroupOn to take a certification course.  For only $69!!!  I couldn't believe it, especially because the course usually costs around $600.  And to just make the offer even better, my mother offered to pay for it!  Because of that fact, I am DETERMINED to finish this course and finish it well. 

There are many activities and hobbies that I have given up on in my life.  For the longest time, I was known in my family as a quitter.  Some things I would do really well in, but lose interest.  Or I would do horribly, and quit before I could improve. 

It wasn't until I was in high school that I broke my streak.  A representative from a foreign exchange company came into my freshmen Spanish 1 class and was telling us about the different programs that they offered.  She also handed out booklets with descriptions and prices of them as well.  I saw a summer program for Italy and that was it.  I became a determined person.  Of course, convincing my family of that was another animal, entirely.  At first, my dad was completely against it, not only because I was only a freshman at that point, but because he did not believe that I would actually follow through with it.  I definitely proved him wrong.  Babysitting two children for an entire summer, and then getting a part-time job once I got my license meant that I could pay for a majority of the trip myself.  I also qualified for two scholarships through the foreign exchange company itself.  Which left a relatively small amount left that I still needed to cover for the trip.  He never said as much, but I know that my dad was very proud of me for saving up all the money that I did.

That trip was the beginning of the rest of my life.  It changed me from an eternally lazy person to a woman who knows what she wants and will do what is necessary to make it happen.  I have since accomplished many things: graduating high school, a study abroad program to Italy, working as an RA for two years, sticking with the same major all through college, graduating college, etc.  And now, I am moving to Italy.  Now I'm not saying that I haven't been lazy since then, but now it's a smaller proportion of how I spend my time.

Back to the course.  The particular program I am enrolled in is TESOLS.  It is broken down into six sections and the best part is that it can be completed at my own pace!  The feeling of flexibility that it gives me makes me confident that I CAN finish it.  It might take some time, seeing as my life always seems to be in a state of transition.  I refuse to allow myself to give up on this TEFL course.  I am continually trying to prove to myself that I am no longer a quitter.  And I probably do so for the rest of my life. 


What I'm Listening To:

~ The Safety Dance - Men in Hats
~ Honey, Honey - Mamma Mia! Soundtrack
~ You Might Think - The Cars
~ High On You - Survivor
~ Creepin' - Eric Church

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38