01 02 03 Life, Unconditionally: My Favorite Holiday 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

My Favorite Holiday

34
As much as I go on and on about Italy and traveling to other countries, the Fourth of July is still my favorite holiday.  That fact might surprise plenty of people, but it's true.  The Fourth has always been my favorite holiday and just because I would love nothing more than to live abroad, doesn't mean I will abandon all of the things that make me love this country.  I love all of the festivals, fairs, parades, and concerts that go on all over the country.  But I think my favorite thing about this particular holiday is that it is one of the more laid-back celebrations. 

Obviously, some people bend over backwards to put together events and things, but for the general public, it is a relaxing way to enjoy what our country has to offer.  I love the fact that this is the one day of the year that everyone is focusing on our own country.  No one is trying to imitate or "American-ize" the traditions or culture of other countries.  It is the one time of year that I am reminded of the great things that are only here in the United States that I can't find abroad. 

I complain about a lot of things, but not on the Fourth of July.  I love trying to stay cool with ice cream or a popsicle, and walking around with friends to enjoy the weather and the decorations everywhere.  Maybe another reason I love the Fourth is because it is when I know summer is fully under way.  And that my birthday is in three days! 

Besides St. Patrick's Day, the Fourth is the best excuse to drink on a holiday.  Working on an island that is known for it's bars and partying you don't always need an excuse to do so, but it can make everything more fun. 

I'm not quite sure where my love for the Fourth of July actually began, maybe is was all the free candy that I got from the parades as a child, or maybe it was because it was the only time of year my hometown actually had fun things to do.  Who knows.  But what I do know is that if my dream of living abroad ever does come true, then I would deeply miss being here to fully celebrate this holiday.  Almost as much as I would miss my family and friends.

I will leave you with my favorite song inspired by this glorious holiday.  Unfortunately, I have to work until 4, but after that I have the whole night to celebrate!

Yay for Independence Day!

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38