01 02 03 Life, Unconditionally: Student, Traveler,... Action Hero? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Student, Traveler,... Action Hero?

34
I watch way to many action movies.  How do I know?  Because I always end up daydreaming that I am a badass, gun-slinging, martial arts master after watching one.  I think it is a disease. 

Movies like The Fast and the Furious, The Bourne Identity, Captain America, Taken and even some television shows always get me in an action-packed mood.  But mostly, they make me realize that I really want to learn how to be at least semi-competent in these areas so that I am able to protect myself wherever I go. 

As someone who loves to travel and wander off on my own, there is always an element of risk.  Especially as a female.  My favorite thing to do when I am in a new place is to wander down side streets to really get a feel of the town or city, but sadly, I DO have some common sense and I know better than to do this everywhere and I know certain precautions that I should be taking when I do.  I would be nice, though, if I could learn to defend myself well.  I don't think my Zumba-teaching skills will be all that helpful in many situations. 

I know I'm young and that I have "plenty of time to do the things I want to do", but sometimes it does not feel as though that is the case.  Most of the time, I feel like I have no time to do these things.  Firstly, they require money.  Secondly, it usually helps if you're in one place for an extended period of time.  Also, it helps if the place you are in is has, or is near to, a studio where one can practice these things.  Unfortunately, my life is constantly in transition and the places that I am in are somewhat locationally challenged.  Also, I am in the process of graduating college and school loans are almost upon me, so money is not the most accessible thing to me right now. 

Hypothetically if I was in the right place, at the right time, with some extra money, I would go to a shooting range to learn how to properly use a gun and I would take kickboxing classes.  Some people would rather self-defense classes, but I have taken multiple self-defense workshops and I did not find them very helpful.  I would rather have a basic knowledge of fighting so that I feel more confident if I ever find myself in a situation that require it.  It seems to me that if I only had a sense of self-defense moves, I might not feel confident enough in myself and my ability to carry them out. 

As soon as I can manage it, I will do my best to take kickboxing classes.  Even if it is only a temporary workshop.


What I'm Listening To:

~ We Own It - 2 Chainz & Wiz Khalifa
~ Oh No! - Marina and the Diamonds
~ Move (If You Wanna) - Mims
~ My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark - Fall Out Boy
~ Ooh Ahh (My Life Be Like) - Grits
~ I Just Wanna Run - The Downtown Fiction
~ Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
~ She Wants to Move - N.E.R.D
~ Rebel Beat - The Goo Goo Dolls
~ Blanco - Pitbull
~ I Am the Best - 2NE1

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38